“To be recognised as a leading youth academy by other sports disciplines in Jersey and sports and cycling bodies outside the Island”
Our overall goal or main aim is as follows:-
“To introduce cycling to youngsters as a form of recreation and sport and to assist individuals reach their maximum potential”
We also have adopted three principles or golden rules that will underpin our goal:-
Safety – for the cyclists themselves; coaches / mentors and other users of facilities and road users;
Enjoyment – to retain interest and involvement our events / activities should be as enjoyable as possible; and
Development – controlled and measured to approved standards and delivered by qualified and suitable persons
- Organise a range of events to provide competition across all cycling disciplines for children between the ages of approx 4 and 17 years old. The planned events / activities include:
- Mountain biking (off road)
- Circuit racing (principally Les Quennevais track)
- Road races (for children aged 12 and over)
- Time Trials (for children aged 12 and over)
- Coaching and Training rides
- Provide subsidised equipment and kit to children and encourage this to be used and worn at all events.
- Provide an environment through coaching, guidance and training where children can safely develop their competitive cycling potential to a level appropriate to their abilities, level of fitness and commitment to the sport.
- Encourage high standards of behaviour and discipline by instituting a code of conduct and encouraging children to abide by this.
- Support children who demonstrate high levels of ability and commitment and wish to progress further in the sport to establish links with professional coaches/teams to facilitate such ambition.
- Organise and support attendance by Academy members at ‘off island’ events – likely to be British Schools Cycling Association (BSCA) regional and national championships plus British Cycling events.